Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pineapple Crockpot Ribs and Sweet Potato/Butternut Squash Fries

Pineapple Crockpot Ribs

Ingredients:

* pork ribs
* 1 fresh pineapple
* paprika
* sugar-free dijon mustard

Directions:

1. Slice ribs apart and set aside.
2. Cut the pineapple into 1″ cubes.
3. Mix the dijon mustard with the paprika and rub all over the ribs.
4. Place the ribs into the crock pot first, and then dump the pineapple cubes on top of them.
5. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Original Rib Recipe here.






The ribs were super tender. We had bought pork spareribs when they were on sale and I imagine baby back ribs would have been much easier to handle in terms of cutting and putting into the crockpot. While they did fall off the bone, they were a little bland for my liking, but I think that I could have added a bit more dijon mustard and paprika. Next time we want to incorporate this recipe and use that particular rub in addition to these ingredients to give it more flavor. Next time...next time.


Butternut Squash Fries



Ingredients:
* butternut squash
* salt
* olive oil

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash.
3. Cut it up into french fry shapes.
4. Toss in a dash of olive oil
5. Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer
6. Sprinkle lightly with salt
7. Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping every so often through the baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.

Original Butternut Squash Fries Recipe here.


I had originally intended to make sweet potato fries with the butternut squash fries but after cutting the butternut squash I realized there was plenty to go around with just that. I figure when we eat the leftover ribs for lunch tomorrow or the next day I can make the sweet potato fries then. The fries weren't as crispy as I would have liked, but they were very tasty. I'm learning that I like squash ;). Next time I'll try a few of these tips to get them crispier.

So...all in all we'll repeat these recipes in the future with some tweeks to make them better :)



No comments:

Post a Comment